Friday, June 18, 2010

The Lost Art of Letter Writing


In this day and age of Tweeting, Facebook, and IM, receiving a hand written note in the mail is fun and nostalgic. No one expects to receive a letter from a friend, much less a long missive. So don't be afraid to drop a quick note to those near and dear in the mailbox. Just a few lines in your own hand let those you love know you are thinking about them enough to take the time to put pen to paper and not just click send.

I love to send photographs that have been rediscovered, clippings from newspapers and magazines that remind me of a friend, comics that I know will elicit a smile, and of course, recipes. I always have on hand the few simple supplies needed for this noble endeavor. Pens, assorted stationary, stamps, and of course my address file.

Tired long ago of constantly scratching out and updating a more traditional address book, I created this handy file with index cards, a pencil, and a metal key ring. By always using pencil, updates are simple and clean. And for those few occasions where someone has moved often, I can simply pluck out the card and make a new one. I also regularly update phone numbers I've acquired in my cell phone so if I lose it or it dies, I still have all of the numbers. I even keep cards for those people I have lost track of over the years as a reminder to try and look them up every now and then.

Send your friend a letter and brighten their day. There is truly becoming no better way to catch someone by surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment